-- Another Example of peaceful Islam - 11/6/12
-- Egyptian revolution failing to deliver for women - 7/17/12
-- Ägyptische Revolution nicht zu liefern für Frauen - 7/17/12
-- Consulate attack planned as 2-part militant assault, Libyan official says - 9/13/12
-- Lawmakers push for Obama administration to get tough over embassy attacks - 9/13/12
-- Saudi Arabia to punish men over converting woman to Christianity - 5/13/13
Saudi Arabia to punish men over converting woman to Christianity: paper
RIYADH (Reuters) - A court in Saudi Arabia has sentenced two men to lashes and prison terms for converting a woman to Christianity and helping her flee the conservative Islamic kingdom, the Saudi Gazette reported on Monday.
A Lebanese Christian was sentenced to six years in prison and 300 lashes for converting the woman, while a Saudi Christian was sentenced to two years and 200 lashes for aiding her escape abroad, the English-language daily said. It added that the pair had challenged the verdict and would appeal.
A spokesman at the justice ministry could not immediately be reached for comment.
In Saudi Arabia, it is against the law for Muslims to abandon their faith, a practice known as apostasy. Proselytising for other religions or practicing them openly is also illegal.
Judges have considerable leeway in how to interpret the kingdom's Sharia code of Islamic law and are not bound by sentencing guidelines or a system of precedent. Both capital and corporal punishment are legal.
The case emerged last year after the woman's family complained that she had been "brainwashed" by colleagues at the insurance company where she worked and that they had helped her leave Saudi Arabia via Bahrain on false documents.
The woman, whose name has not been released, was granted asylum in Sweden last year, the newspaper reported.
Last year King Abdullah, opened a center for religious dialogue (Proselytising for Islam) in Vienna that drew criticism because of Saudi Arabia's own lack of religious freedom. In 2008 he also did it in Spain.
(Reporting By Angus McDowall, Editing by William Maclean and Alistair Lyon)
parents say they killed daughter for eyeing boy
Posted November 6, 2012
ISLAMABAD A Pakistani couple accused of killing their 15-year-old daughter by pouring acid on her carried out the attack because she sullied the family's honor by looking at a boy, the couple said in an interview broadcast Monday by the BBC.
The girl's death underlines the problem of so-called "honor killings" in Pakistan where women are often killed for marrying or having relationships not approved by their families or because they are perceived to have somehow dishonored their family.
The girl's parents, Mohammad Zafar and his wife Zaheen, recounted the Oct. 29 incident from jail. The father said the girl had turned to look at a boy who drove by on a motorcycle, and he told her it was wrong.
"She said 'I didn't do it on purpose. I won't look again.' By then I had already thrown the acid. It was her destiny to die this way," the girl's mother told the British broadcaster.
48 Hours: Was Noor Almaleki the victim of an honor killing?
Family in Canada guilty of "honor" killings
"Honor killings" target Turkey's LGBT community
Iraqi convicted of murder in Ariz. "honor killing"
Television footage of the couple showed them standing behind bars in separate, but adjoining jail cells.
The father said the family had already come under public censure because of their older daughter's behavior, but he did not detail what exactly he meant.
Pakistani officials initially said the attack occurred because the girl supposedly had an affair with a boy.
According to the Human Rights Commission of Pakistan, at least 943 women were killed in the name of honor last year. Only 20 of the women were reported to have been given medical care before they died, the report said. The real toll is believed to be higher because many of the crimes go unreported.
"Throughout the year, women were callously killed in the name of honor when they went against family wishes in any way, or even on the basis of suspicion that they did so. Women were sometimes killed in the name of honor over property disputes and inheritance rights," the report said.
Lawmakers push for Obama administration to get tough over
Published September 13, 2012 FoxNews.com
Lawmakers and other officials stepped up calls Thursday for the United States to put heavy pressure on the governments whose people are storming U.S. diplomatic posts across the Middle East and North Africa -- even if it means freezing aid and expelling diplomats from Washington.
The calls increased as anti-American demonstrations and attacks spread to Yemen, and as protests entered their third day near the U.S. Embassy in Cairo, Egypt. The clashes continued, after four Americans including the U.S. ambassador were killed Tuesday night during attacks on the U.S. Consulate in Benghazi, Libya. The attack came roughly a year after the U.S. and its allies helped Libyans overthrow dictator Muammar Qaddafi.
Rep. Peter King, chairman of the House Homeland Security Committee, told Fox News that President Obama should be putting particular pressure on Egypt and its president, Mohammed Morsi, over the sustained demonstrations there. King said the U.S. should suspend aid to Egypt until Morsi makes "absolutely clear" he is condemning the demonstrations and taking "forceful action" to protect the U.S. Embassy.
Obama, in an interview with Spanish-language network Telemundo, pushed back on the idea of suspending aid, saying the U.S. "doesn't have an option of withdrawing from the world."
On Egypt, he said pointedly: "I don't think that we would consider them an ally, but we do not consider them an enemy."
King countered: "If he's not an ally, why do we continue to give him billions of dollars in aid?"
Egypt was slated to receive $1.6 billion this year in U.S. aid. Protesters earlier in the week stormed the U.S. Embassy in Cairo and tore down the U.S. flag.
Other officials said the U.S. needs to make clear to these countries that they are accountable for what happens at the U.S. embassies.
"When you attack an embassy, you're attacking America," Sen. James Inhofe, R-Okla., told Fox News.
John Bolton, former U.S. ambassador to the United Nations under the George W. Bush administration, said Obama should communicate privately to Egypt and Libya that if this happens again, "we're cutting off all assistance."
"That message has to go all across the Middle East," he said.
Some lawmakers were trying to carve out U.S. aid to Libya in the stopgap funding bill hitting Capitol Hill this week.
The House approved the $1.047 trillion bill in a 329-91 vote.
Rep. Michael McCaul, R-Texas, went further, saying Wednesday that the U.S. should send a signal that "this barbaric behavior will not be tolerated" by suspending aid, closing U.S. embassies in Egypt and Libya and expelling their diplomats from the U.S.
King, though, said the fledgling government in Libya should be treated a little differently.
He said the U.S. might "reconsider" aid, but stressed that the government is fragile there -- and still forming after the downfall of Qaddafi -- and that Libyan security personnel did try to protect Americans during the Benghazi attack Tuesday night.
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Wednesday that the U.S. should distinguish the government and people of Libya from the "small and savage" group that launched the attack on the consulate. A number of officials stressed that the relationship with a new Libya must endure despite the attack.
Obama called the presidents of both Libya and Egypt on Wednesday about the demonstrations and attacks.
According to the White House, Morsi "expressed his condolences for the tragic loss of American life in Libya and emphasized that Egypt would honor its obligation to ensure the safety of American personnel."
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/09/13/lawmakers-push-for-obama-administration-to-get-tough-over-embassy-attacks/print#ixzz26RLbS9hR